Sunday 11 December 2011

March 2011

So that was March 2011.
Full of violent happenings in the world, quite peaceful here in my blessed neck of the woods. We had a classic Kootenay winter this year with lots of snow. Traditionally March is the month that it melts, and so it was. The beginning of the month was still quite wintry, but with some lovely sunny 
days.
.s
The snow roof does a beautiful job of shedding the load, without anyone having to climb up on it.
We did have quite a pile in front of the porch.
I have been scandalously lazy this winter. Even the planned indoor chores, like getting the scanner/printer installed, did not get done. Daily yoga is a fond memory but alas, also on the list of "ought to". But I enjoyed the leisure. I did spend quite a few afternoons with my Parkinson-afflicted friend, so my existence had some use beyond pure self indulgence. Now the snow is almost gone.
Some bare ground is visible in the left for-ground. This is a block from home.
Here is some more. Believe it or not, if you have not seen the ground for a full four months this is an exciting sight. OK, when it comes to Nature I excite easily.
And what is this? A blade of grass? Trumpets please!
Eranthis, snowdrops and crocuses almost start blooming under the snow. The moment the load is lifted there they are.  Eranthis make me smile not only for their own sake but because of the fond memories. They came from the garden of a special local lady, now long gone. 

Edna Irving used to be the matron of our local hospital in its heyday, when surgeries were performed there and babies were born. When I got to know her she was well into her nineties, still living in the home she and her husband had built, and suffering from Alzheimers. She had other helpers, I just filled in now and then during the lunch hour. In spring we'd leave the house behind and walk in her garden, full of hardy perennials. She never lost her joy in Nature and life in general, and was a pleasure to be with. 

Wherever Edna is, I am sure there are flowers around, and she just might bump into my dear mother while tending the garden. They were both daughters of an all-girl family, had 2 boys and 2 girls, were head nurses and passionate gardeners, and lived well past 90.

 I can think of no nicer way of being remembered than by blooming in someone's garden.
Edna and Elizabeth, these are for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments have been set to anyone, un-moderated, and no captcha. So if you were here, wave to me? Spammers will be deleted and acquire bad karma to boot.