Thursday 14 November 2013

Our daily muffin

By popular request, here is the recipe of my muffins. They are probably high calorie, one usually does me for breakfast. 
They are packed with good nutrition, delicious, and they keep well. They are also quite forgiving, I am not a strict measure kind of cook. This is my current favourite version.

They evolved as a way to use the pulp that is a by product of the daily juice. So if you use freshly grated carrots, squeeze out some moisture. 

Dry stuff: 
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oat flour (I grind oatmeal in a coffee grinder)
2 tablespoons  flax seeds, freshly ground
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon or apple pie spices
1 teaspoon salt
a handful of raisins
a handful of sunflower seeds or chopped nuts, lightly dry-roasted.

Mix it all well. Have ready but don't add till just before you add the wet stuff: 1 1/2 cup apple in small pieces.

Wet stuff:
1 1/2 cup carrot pulp
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup yoghurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil. I use grape seed oil.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix all the dry stuff well, mix all the wet stuff well. Add apple to dry stuff, combine dry and wet, put in buttered muffin tins, bake at 350 or 375. check after 20 minutes. 

Makes 12.
Variations: use lemon zest instead of cinnamon, try frozen blueberries, red currants, raspberries or chopped rhubarb instead of apple and raisin. 

Update:
These days I mix a large batch of dry stuff minus the flax seeds and cinnamon and keep it handy in the fridge. I am more likely to make a batch that way. 

3 comments:

Comments have been set to anyone, un-moderated, and no captcha. So if you were here, wave to me? Spammers will be deleted and acquire bad karma to boot.