Wednesday 14 December 2011

Food ignorance


I had to buy some chicken feed, and ended up chatting with the pleasant girl at the till. 
She asked me how many I had to carry over winter. I said I didn't know yet, because half the flock is un-sexed, and I can't quite tell yet which ones are roosters. They will be eaten. 

Gasp. "I didn't know you could eat roosters!" "What did you think half the chicken in the grocery store is?" "Well, you know, CHICKEN!" 

This one is right up there with the nice lady who visited my friend Elsje's homestead. She was admiring the calf. "And, when will it start giving milk?" "This one, never. It is a bull calf." "But, it's a COW?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments have been set to anyone, un-moderated, and no captcha. So if you were here, wave to me? Spammers will be deleted and acquire bad karma to boot.